I've been working on a few models over the holiday period and have (among other things) completed a unit of twenty zombies for my Vampire Counts.
I actually cheated a bit.
I did an audit of my zombie models and found that I had just over sixty models. As one of the games I'm playing at the moment is "Kings of War" which has fixed unit sizes of 10, 20, 40 or 80 models, I wanted to bump my model count up to 80.
I also wanted the zombies to look a bit more "shuffling mob" than "regimented soldier" so I elected to use a mixture of 20mm and 40mm bases, but to not fill the 40mm bases but instead to put just two or three models on them and fill spaces with grave markers (by Renendra, in case you're interested).
So I have made twenty bases of zombies using only about fifteen zombie models. I took a few top-down shots to illustrate the idea:
And here is the whole unit all lined up:
More Vampire Count stuff: